A poem... because that's what I do when I don't know what else to do

What it is.
by Bobbi Jo Chavarria
For my Grandma, on her birthday, who is with me always 
and to my sons who woke me up before they were even born.

It isn’t about now
It is about what has always been
Along with what never was
But it’s what it looks like
When we are no longer sleeping

Remember that moment
When you were really awake
And the illusions fell away
And you were satisfied
And humble and powerful
And overwhelmed
By the truth of oneness?

It looks like that.
It sounds like a sigh
And feels like a soothing song
With a rocking beat

It used to be that I couldn’t breathe
but I put my hands up
and stayed standing
until we could sit together
swallowed my fear
so that it wouldn’t swallow me
channeled my anger
as a spark for ignition
but let the love
take it from there

Rumi said, “Don’t go back to sleep,
You must ask for what you really want.”

That’s what it is
What we really want.
What has always been
What we have been made to forget
It is time to remember
It is time to stay awake
and make it What. It. Is.

April 30, 2015

Comments

Popular Posts