The Salt of the Earth


Organizing in low- and moderate-income (and being a part of that group myself), the generosity of those who have the least to give is at times overwhelmingly remarkable and humbling.  This post reminded me of when I was completing organizer training in the Sunnyvale housing projects in San Francisco during my first few months with ACORN in the summer of 2007.
Perception
Posted by The Brian Banks Story on Thursday, August 20, 2015
I had a single mother offer to treat me to dinner at McDonald's because all she had was $4 and change and we could get a couple of 99 cent cheeseburgers each. Another single mother shared macaroni & cheese and canned green beans from the two-course meal that she was feeding her children; and countless others gave me water, snacks, and shelter from the weather, 

But it's the McDonald's one that knocks me to my knees when I remember it. It is late, and I don't want to cry, so I will save that for another moment. It involves Gavin Newsom, when he was Mayor, the beautiful campus of Cal State San Francisco, Section 8 housing vouchers (or the lack thereof), my camouflage jacket, a manicure, The Olive Garden, and finding a wine that I could drink without grimacing and an afternoon with the loveliest company you could ever ask for.

When I came home, I found myself knocking in some pretty sad neighborhoods but filled with people who were astoundingly resilient and generous. My colleague, Greg, who was raised in Colorado, once compared some of the streets of San Bernardino to some of the third-world countries he had visited while he learned Spanish. He didn't know how much longer he could organize, because he was beginning to feel angry and frustrated that this was the United States of America, and we were allowing our neighbors to be in such poor conditions. 

I remember a couple, slightly embarrassed, but still opening the door to their small apartment even though they had no electricity when it started to sprinkle while we were talking about what they would like to see improved, for themselves and for the neighborhood. It was dry, with a few lawn chairs for furniture, and an ice chest that contained their small supply of food. At least, that month, the wife said, we have the heating bill covered, we can still warm up the house and some food. 

Think about that. In this country. What are we doing?

I ask this because -- in the same city of San Bernardino, I have seen millionaires refuse to give a dime to help their neighbor, and heard one on the radio, so proud that his wife she will call the police on someone without a home because they might be standing at a freeway off ramp asking for some help. And, I was run over by a guy in a BMW because he didn't like the community protesting and organizing when he was on his way to dinner at the Mission Inn. ‪ Yes, let's let that all sink in.

Comments

Popular Posts