I am a mountain

In my mind I imagine that mountains are formed one of two ways. I could not say if I'm geologically correct, just seems to make sense and am open to enlightenment and education. In the meantime, maybe what I pose here is just an allegory or a metaphor or whatever literary phrase more accurately describes my theory about my name and how it may or may not be indicative of who I am or what I am meant to be.

My original name. Bobbi Jo Montano. Bobbi a root of Robert meaning majestic, and Montano, a form of Mountain in Spanish. Bobbi can also be a form of Barbara, from the word barbarian - strange or foreign. I am either a majestic mountain or a strange mountain. Seems about right, depending on the day.

I am a mountain.
I don't know if I rose,
inevitably, irrevocably smashing through the surface
as tectonic plates crashed below
moved by vast pressure
and defying gravity
I erupted into a giant
due to forces not controlled by me
I cannot know if along my foothills
I am joined by other mountains
because by definition it is my peak
that determines I am a mountain
and it is high and lonely up here

Or maybe it is possible
that the wind and water
beat against the extra earth
carved crevices and created valleys
and from that, I emerged
like a sculpture
shaped by nature
immovable and solid
at least as it appears to be
when we look at a millenia at a time
but again, it wasn't by my will
that I took shape
and if this or the former was my origins
I will one day be swept away
by the same forces
from whence I came.
Erosion is real.

Until then, I will gather snow
from the winter storms
I will serve as a peak
as others work and toil and explore
the valleys below
looking my way to get their bearings
and using what shade
and water
and protection
and wildness
and life
that flows from my mountaintop
as one part of a system
that needs oceans
and valleys
and mountains

Whatever the beginning
this I know
I am a mountain
and as long as I am
I shall not be moved

- December 22, 2016

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts