We Are All Lions - Posted In Memory of the Honorable Heather Heyer


We're all lions.
by Bobbi Jo Chavarria
December 9, 2014

when I first saw the video
it was like
that's not how I remember it at all
but it is how it must have been

and there's a moment
when you can see my boots
firmly and deliberately step in front of the car
and watching that for the first time,
I thought a lot of things,
I thought -- "That was bold, stupid, weird."
"Why did I do that?"


And if someone who doesn't like me
Or doesn't like what I do
Or who I am
Or how I look or what I say,
If they saw that video they would think,
"What an asshole for stepping in front of that car
when he clearly wanted to get by"
They would say
(and they have)
"You deserved to get hit"

But the WHOLE THING wasn't how
I remembered it
because I was there, I had a sign
I yelled the chants
and when I look at all the pictures
(oh, the great pictures)
I'm in one
and it's from behind
with the kids in front of me
as if I was on the outside


And I was - almost.

I couldn't figure it out at the time,
but I just went with it
because it made sense to let the kids speak
it made sense to circle around
and watch
just make sure...
I didn't know what...
but make sure something.

And, I keep calling them kids
because when I walked into their space
groovy and raw and real
and I saw the ones at the front
the leaders you would say,
(but be clear, they wouldn't say,)
I was struck that they were so young.
They could have been my children.

And I was so proud of them
humbled by their reverence
and solemn respect
as they wrote names on the sidewalk
and lit candles at Martin's feet
awestruck by their understanding
from whose footsteps they move forward
and I was delighted to follow them
as they marched towards
Ghandi's place on Main Street


And then they stopped in the crosswalk
And they wouldn't leave

"Protect and serve, that's a lie,
You don't care when black kids die."

"They think it's a joke, they think it's a game.
It isn't a joke, it isn't a game."

"What do we want? Justice!
When do we want it? Yesterday!"

There was a moment where I joined in
with my hands up
chanting, "Hands up, don't shoot.
Hands up, don't shoot"
And I could only join along
for a minute
because I was overwhelmed
with the thought
that there is a now
that exists
that would mean my precious
sons might be saying those words
with their arms raised

And, I had to drop my arms
and turn to the kids
and listen for a different future

So I did my part how I could
and when I remember what I did
there, that night,
and who I talked with
and how I now know what it's like to feel the hood of a car under my body,
and not in an 80s rock video kind of way,
because it was moving,
and because I am not one of those women
I know now what I was doing



When food is scarce
and there's young lion cubs that need to eat
and there's a precious meal providing sustenance
the female lions will form a circle
around those cubs
and watch for something
they will protect the food
and the cubs
from the male lions
or other predators
who are just as hungry
they circle and make sure the cubs have eaten first

when justice is scarce
and young goddesses are angry
and they need to speak
because they can't breathe
and there's a precious opportunity with lights
and an audience of holiday revelers
and even peace officers, stopping to listen,
well that's giving them sustaining hope
So as that happened,
I watched for something
watching those on the outside
some who were just as angry
to make sure the peaceful spoke first

I wasn't looking for a fight
but I know now
that was why

I started talking to the man
and his camera phone
from behind which he'd been shouting
angry, rhetorical questions
to everyone and no one and boldly filming
like he had a camera and he was going to use it
So I stepped in front of him
and I answered his question
and his next one
and his next one
until there was space
to ask one of my own
and he nodded
and eventually he and his angry wife behind him
weren't so angry and they walked away
and he recorded it all so it would be good to hear what the fuck I said, because I don't remember

I wasn't looking for a fight
but I know now
that was why

When I saw a 6 foot plus behemoth
put his hands on someone
I shouted, "Hey, no hands" or "Hands off"
or something similar to the "Hands to yourself"
that I have to tell my five-year old
who can't contain the energy he has sometimes
and who could accidently or on purpose
hurt his little brother, who is only two
And when, the giant pushed someone else
looked my way and said,
"what are you going to do?"
because he had hands and he was going to use them
I stepped in front of him
and said, "no hands"
and he swung at my arm,
knocked the sign out of my hands
and said, "what are you going to do?"
I asked, "Really, you're going to push
daughters, and mothers, and sisters?"
and I turned to the crowd watching,
and said, "Really, you're just going to watch as he does this?"
And, I hope someone has this on video
because I don't know or remember how it ended
except it felt like suddenly
he was gone and someone handed me my sign
picked up from the floor

and I wasn't looking to get hit by a car

but when I heard the engine rev
and saw it lurch forward and someone screamed
and he revved the engine again
tires squealing
because he had a BMW and he was going to use it
I stepped in front of his car
trying to get his attention
trying to see if it had been an accident

And I saw the frantic woman at his side
screaming, Stop! Don't do this.
because he was heading into the kids
angry that these kids weren't listening
to his horn
to his engine
to him
so angry at them
for taking all the words

and he revved his car again
and sped off
running over my toes in the process


And, that's the video I got to see
where I did something stupid and useless
like when you have to stop short in the car
and you put your hand over to hold someone back
like your arm is going to somehow help
I stepped in front of the car
because I would have done the same
if my two boys were in that crosswalk
the kids were in the crosswalk

But what happened after
was beautiful
after no one was seriously hurt
and the only destructive anger left was in the skid marks that BMW left behind
what happened was that the kids won

they won

and were heard
the street was shut down
they started to chant
lying on the ground
"I can't breathe. I can't breathe."
And a complete circle formed around them
and two girls asked, can we join?
and I said, of course
and probably other kids joined in too.
And I recorded that video
of the circle and of the kids

So, now when I watch that first video
I remember that love is the opposite of fear
and my deliberate step in front
of those headlights
looks fearless
but really it just means
that love was going to be my guide

and when I remember
watching those kids
that night
those children
"whose souls dwell in the house of tomorrow"
and who are building it for themselves
and for my sons and all our children

and I remember
Watching the peace officers
keep the peace
that night

In the moment, I remember

and I can breathe.

UPDATE:
In August of 2016, nearly two years after the incident, the BMW driver, Darren Enscoe (in his fifties) was convicted by a jury of three misdemeanor counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

Expressing zero remorse during an interview with the probation officer where he stated that he would do it again because if he didn't he would consider himself a coward, it was recommended that he receive 364 days by the prosecutor's office, who, at the outset, firmly believed he would never see a day in jail.

At the sentencing hearing on October 14th, he was sentenced to 4 months of custody and 4 months of work release. Again, it was believed that it would be unlikely he would serve more than a few weeks. However, less than a week after his release of four months served, he was remanded to custody for failure to report for work release and failure to meet the conditions of probation and because he did not visit the Museum of Tolerance as part of his sentence.

Enscoe is now serving the first of his 3-year conviction and his next court appearance is October 2017.

The injury I sustained that night, while seemingly minor, has served as an ongoing reminder on a daily basis. As continued events in the media, and the long protracted journey to justice continued, I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSD) and generalized anxiety, and physically suffer from nerve damage in my right foot. Walking, standing, and extended periods of driving are not debilitating but quite irritating and serve as painful reminders that there are angry folks who, if given a chance, can and will hurt me for standing up for others and for speaking out for what I believe.

In July of 2017, one of the other victims of the attack, Nikohl Vandel (aka Elaine Clermont) died due to heart complications. It is unknown whether that may have stemmed from her injuries that night.

Comments

Ajazgames said…
I’m loving everything about this post!They all look so beautiful.I’m in love with your style!
New escape games
escape games

Popular Posts