Gratitude

"Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it."
William Arthur Ward

What am I grateful for? I know there must be something. But right now, for the life of me I can't think of anything. Ok. Let me start off small. Let me delight in the little things because what else can I do?

I like the taste of gum. The freshness of the flavor in my mouth. I like that. That's cool. Thanks for that.

I am grateful that there was cash in my stamps.com account so that I could mail out Merri Ann's order.

I am grateful that I had time to take out the recycling and garbage bins before taking my mom to the train station.

I am grateful that the lawn looks so nice and groomed. That the flower beds are completely weeded and that the ivy is not all overgrown into the sidewalk or over the curb.

I am grateful for the bright ass freakishly weird purple color of the house across the street since it really livens up the gloomy dark gray sky. Not to mention, I'm glad they finally replaced the garage door because the bright white of it actually helps that purple not look so strange.

I am grateful that Gil walked away from me as I was talking because... it helps to remember the normal way we usually do things... because I can forget and I can fool myself and I can get nostalgic and it's just better if I don't delude myself.

I am grateful for long conversations with friends that I haven't spoken with in forever and it's just like it was only yesterday since we last spoke and we're all caught up and we're completely honest and open and it's all cool, ese. That's a good thing. Because I forget the gift of that kind of relationship.

I am grateful for my ability to forget the bad stuff. And I am grateful for the things that remind me of the good stuff. The random phone calls.

I am grateful for my business and what I do for a living. The way I can help someone be and stay beautiful with a little self care.

Yea, it's really very good that I can write. That I can journal. That I can force myself to acknowledge and express my gratitude. That I can remember this gifts of my life.

I am grateful for the intention of awareness and that even in the moments that I forget that intention, it will come back to me, gently and sometimes not so gently, and guide me to remembering the truth of me. My gratitude. My humility. My awareness. My gifts. My passion. My truth.

I am grateful to good books and great truths within the books. I am grateful that I can read, that I can process information. That I have the time, the energy to remember what is important to me, to engage my mind and my spirit.

I am grateful that when I don't feel like picking up the phone and reaching out for help, for understanding, for a listening ear - someone will call and give me what I'm hoping for. That's kind of cool.

I am grateful that I have questions that I want answered, and that I know the answers can only come from me. I am grateful that most of the time I can remember that it's up to me to take responsibility for my life. Most of the time.

I am grateful for the cathartic influence of art - movies, song, literature - on my life so that when I am looking for the answers and wondering how I will ever get there, the gift of those things spring forth and illuminate.

I am grateful for crazy kitties who like to play. not so grateful for them brining in dead birds, but I guess that's part of the deal. They're hunters, predators, and they like to play. I'm grateful that the bird is out of its misery. I am grateful that I'm trying real hard to find something to be grateful about the fact that I have to get up and go intern a baby bird. Be right back.

I am grateful for the warmth of a cozy house especially after the cold, drizzly air of Fontana at 54 degrees.

See? So much to be grateful for. So much to be thankful for. So much to be delighted about. So much. And one day, maybe I'll remember the very big stuff too. Like Who I Am and What I Do and How I Love and Live and Where I Go and all that. All of that. In the meantime, I think this is good.

It's good. - Bruce Almighty

Comments

Popular Posts