Journey to marathon... Stumbling Block #1

So you'd think working with a personal training would be a good idea. They would know what to do, right? And it's true - Sumi was a master - he totally knew - he was like, "core strength training" vital to improve balance, endurance, flexibility - all the things you're going to need to run a marathon. And cardio... ewww are we going to work the cardio. Not to mention a crazy, high carb (smart carbs) diet contrary to every weight loss fad in the world - because it's all about energy. And small, essential amounts of good protein like fish, turkey, and the like. We're going to train you to run 28-30 miles so when it's time to run the 26.2 - you'll KNOW you can do it. You don't want to be out there... and in the last few miles hit a wall. You don't want that at all. And I don't.

And that was a mother crazy son of a holy crap workout. I mean, my stomach muscles (who knew I still had 'em?) are viciously protesting and happy to be noticed all at the same time. My heart rate was through the roof... just, ya know, lunging. WTF? And sweat, ohmygawd, sweat dripping down my face, down my back, down my chest, pits tingling from the shock. This sucks, I thought, I've been going to the gym for a while and haven't hit this kind of torture... this kind of ... whatever... "But it's cool." Cuz, I love the exercise ball - and we didn't touch one machine but the bike for a five minute warm up - it is going to be my best friend for the immediate future and probably beyond.

The only challenge - as the PA at Kaiser (in the do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars, injury screening area) said, "Don't jump onto exercise balls. That doesn't make sense."

Cuz what happened on the journey to marathon was a challenge that I thought I couldn't do, and I was right. But I don't like to be right about the things that I think I can't do. I'd rather be wrong thinking I can, then right thinking I can't. But I fucked up yesterday and had it all backwards and I said aloud the fear, I can't do that. And what the hell do you know? I couldn't.

So ice packs every couple of hours for 15-20 minutes. Stay off the ankle for the next day or so... get used to the crutches, wear that ankle boot crazy thing for the next couple of weeks and go from there. That's funny.

And so flipping enlightening - cuz what did Sumi say? "That's what happens when you don't commit and give it your all."

I know. I know Sumi. I've been living that kind of life for a long time now. And that's what happens. You get "knocked the fuck out."
Status report: It's feeling just a little tender now, I've been sending healing energy to it through the night... cuz the pain would wake me up if I turned this way or that, if I moved my leg in my sleep - which apparently I do quite often, because I woke up a million times during the night. The top side of my foot is just a little puffy... right where BeeBee's ass is --- like I got stung, that's kinda funny.

The journey began... setback, will begin again soon.. and will do what I can until... It's going to be a great, long, fun, year, isn't it? I'm soo excited.

One interesting note: I learned that you can exercise your regular routine up until the 4th or 5th month of pregnancy. Assuming no great risk in pregancy, I'm sure, but that's kinda cool. Cuz the healthier, more vital the mama, the better for the baby. Well, that makes all kinds of sense.

Comments

Popular Posts